Comprehensive Medication Management
Under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, Hospitals and other eligible providers are under enormous pressure to demonstrate meaningful use of certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) technology - both to qualify for incentive payments and to avoid penalties. Although not without criticism and controversy, the far-reaching goals of HITECH are certainly driving enormous change across all realms of healthcare.
Despite making great strides to date, EMR adoption in the United States still has large areas for growth and improvement. As of late 2014, only approximately 20% of US Hospitals had achieved Stage 6 or Stage 7 on the HIMSS Analytics' Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM) scale.
The Stage 5 attainment requiring closed loop medication administration has been achieved by approximately 30% of US hospitals. Therefore, approximately half of the hospitals in the United States are still at Stage 4 or below.
Details of Medication Management & Related Services
Closed loop medication administration helps maximize point of care patient safety processes including the bedside verification of the “five rights” of medication administration.
- Closed loop medication includes:
- The use of unit dose medication
- Barcode or other auto identification technology, such as radio frequency identification (RFID)
- These technologies positively verify unit dose medication and the patient ID
- Full integration with eMAR, CPOE and pharmacy systems
Derive Technologies has significant and varied experience assisting our healthcare customers in many aspects of implementing or expanding closed loop medication administration initiatives. We are a top-tier provider of many of the specialized items necessary to realize closed loop medication administration initiatives: medication and other mobile carts and devices, storage and delivery products, mounting solutions, physical and data security products, infection control and medical grade items.
- Derive’s consultative solutions include:
- Collaboration on medication administration workflow transformation with nursing and pharmacy leadership
- Current and Future State Definition and Documentation
- Coordination of Product Evaluations, Concept Proofs Technology Fairs and Pilots
- Development of Comprehensive Deployment, Training and Support Plans
Please fill out the form on the right side of this page to contact a Derive healthcare specialist to learn more about our medication management and administration solutions.